Thursday, August 23, 2007

Relationships and Jesus

After witting this, I went back to reread and I am not sure how I rambled onto community from a nursing home to love, to knowing Jesus, but I decided to post it anyway.


I visited a memory care facility yesterday in order to get my grandmother moved out of her home. During my visit to the upscale nursing home, I toured the grounds and viewed not only the space, but also I was introduced to nearly half of the tenants. I met several people that thought I was there grandson, and many more that thought we had met just a few days ago but couldn't recall my name. I met some that were very happy and i met a few that had eyes full of tears.

After leaving the building I began to think of the sayings of Jesus, "...the world will know us by our love." And, "...if you love me, you will obey my commands." The people that I met, and my Grandma alike are becoming like, if not already, infants needing care night and day. Infants need to be cared for and there development depends on, relationships.

Jesus knew that truth was not found in religion, but rather would be found in a person. Jesus knew that one day, I would come along and strive to fill my head with knowledge, do the right thing, live the right way and chastise myself when I fail. He knew that I would be pushed away by my own rules and shortcomings. It is for this reason, he separated himself from the religious leaders and lived out true relationship. Jesus offers me relationship before rules and commandments. This relationship is found inside a community that lives life together. A community that eats together, plays together, laughs together, cries together and hurts together, learns together, forgives together. rebukes together and rebuilds together. Community is quintessential in knowing Jesus.

Do I have this type of community? Have I really invested myself in those in my inner circle?

No comments: