Thursday, April 24, 2008


Have you ever been accused of something you simply did not do? One of my first memories is when my family went out on our weekly trip to the grocery store. At our neighborhood grocery store there was a giant stand with thousands of different kinds of candy. Along with the candy, there was a scale and tiny white bags, you would pick the candy, weight it and bag to pay for it at the front of the store. Every time I would walk by this display, I would stick my hand in the huge pile of candy (the candy was individually wrap!) and think to myself, "wow, this is so much candy!" There is just something about having enough candy to cover your whole body...
On this particular day, we walk by the display and I did my usual routine. However, this time I left my hand in the pile a little longer, long enough for my mom to start down the next aisle. Just when my mom left my line of sight, I quickly ran after her to catch up. To an onlookers, I am sure I could have slipped a piece of candy down my sleeve and that is what I was accused of by an "old lady". She stopped me and said, "You stop right there! Open your hand, I know you have candy in it!" I looked up at her, with my over sized, deep blue eyes with dismay and opened my empty hand. I was young, but even then it hurt my spirit, in a way that hadn't ever happened.

I think the point here is not about taking stuff that isn't yours, but rather how we confront those people in our lives that have done wrong. I have done it myself. Confronted boldly and argumentative, I know there response even before there mouth opens. In some way its my way of saying, You are wrong, and I am right. I have seen good friendships deeply hurt beyond repair.

The truth, we all have done wrong. We have all taken. Are we not all guilty? There is a need for confrontation, we need to be asked the tough questions. However, "You stop right there!" Might not be a good place to start.

No comments: